Mason's Smiles

Mason's Smiles

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Mason's Autism Testing

I remember the exact moment just over a year ago when I allowed myself to process the thought, "Maybe Mason really does have autism." It scared me. It overwhelmed me. 

We were just learning about the developmental delays he had in various areas and picking up on his sensory processing difficulties. We didn't know how to wrap our heads around everything we were learning.

A year later, I feel like we are in a different world. We have learned so much about development, sensory processing, and autism. We have also learned that we have so much more to learn! I am so thankful for Mason's teachers/therapists, our knowledgeable friends/coworkers, and the Internet!

I'm no longer scared or overwhelmed by an autism diagnosis. It's just a label that he may or may not get. It's more about being able to see and experience the amazing personality that Mason has. It's about learning how to help Mason grow and learn in a way that works for him. It's about sharing Mason's joy with everyone he gets to know.

Today, I received the call scheduling Maosn's autism testing at Helen Devos. It will be on April 9. Getting the call made me reflect on the past year. I'm so happy with how far we have come in the past year. Less fear, more knowledge and support.

Mason's OT shares the following chart with me. The "alternative view" really made sense to me on viewing people with autism instead of looking at them with the negative "assumptions."


And of course a few cute pictures of Mason:





No comments:

Post a Comment