Mason's Smiles

Mason's Smiles

Monday, October 20, 2014

Mason's first kiss, weekend update, and of course kitten pictures

I'm so happy.  It's the little things.

Like I've said, we always ask/push Mason to do many normal social interactions for an almost 3 year old. One such interaction is to give momma or dadda a kiss.  His only response to this thus far has been occasionally he puts his forehead towards your mouth to give him a kiss.  Today after bath time, we were brushing his teeth, which strangely went really well.  I was talking to him, and he was really engaged with me and just happy.  I said "Momma loves you" like I have many times before.  He grabbed my face, which he has done many times, and he usually screams happy noises in my face or points to my teeth. This time he puts his lips together and gave me a kiss right on the lips!!  Without asking, just becuase he wanted to. I looked at Zach and wondered if I had only imagined it. Of course we tried to replicate this, but he didn't care.  It doesn't matter.  It is the first time Mason has ever given his momma a kiss!!

Mason has had a great last week since I updated about his behavior and appointments.  At his Thursday OT appointment last week, he didn't scream as we entered the building or tantrum in the waiting room too much. He walked himself into the appointment instead of having to be carried kicking and screaming.  I will give credit to the fact that we took his doggie plate into this appointment as well. (=  He did struggle with engaging with the OT at times when he just wanted to do his thing and ignore the fact that we were trying to play with him.  He also wanted to leave the room multiple times.  No matter how fun the room is, he can't handle being shut inside a room.  The OT was also able to do a lot of "body work," which is based on the Masgutova reflex integration method.  It was a great appointment because he was mostly emotionally regulated...that is always considered a win in my book!  Obviously, the kittens were a huge hit on Saturday!!  He just wants to have them by him all the time.  The kittens are getting more and more comfortable, which has been fun since they run around chasing each other and play, play, play.  The other big thing this weekend is that he did really well with transitions.  When he had to share the swing at grandma and grandpa's with his cousin Bo, he did not have one violent tantrum.  When I had him and Bo share the trains, he only put up a normal tantrum.  I can take normal tantrums any day.  Granted we stayed within his routine this weekend and didn't take him anywhere new, but it still feels good to have him be in an emotionally regulated place.

Not knowing what the "prognosis" is for Mason's future can be difficult to work through emotionally as a parent.  It's weeks like this past one, where he is generally emotionally regulated and able to learn/communicate much more, that I feel like he can overcome some of these sensory processing issues and overall delays.  Then there are the rough weeks where I feel like he is never going to comprehend certain concepts or be on track developmentally/socially.  I wonder, maybe he is autistic or maybe has something else going on.  It's like a roller coaster.  The unknown can be scary especially when you don't know when or if you will have an answer. I truly can't imagine what other people and parents go through who have much more difficult prognosis'.  My heart truly goes out to them. Just have to take it day by day...which is hard for a control freak like myself!! (=

Okay, now for some cute kitten pictures:




No comments:

Post a Comment